Swarthmore is a lifetime of education and a community of support. Swarthmore challenged me to learn and think in new ways, and I continue to innovate my thinking as I embark on new career and volunteer endeavors. Swarthmore supported me in juggling academics and extracurriculars, choosing a grad school, and starting a new career. My Swarthmore experience is lifelong learning and strong connections. Robin Petruzielo '03

I was very happy as a student, studying away. There was no overt academic competitiveness; everyone set high standards but grades were never discussed. Everyone was intellectual and collegial. There was even a special anti-horn-tooting pride that we were at a top institution that most of the world had never heard of. We were told that Swarthmore was a liberal arts institution, not a pre-professional school. We had a joke about that, though. Yes, Swarthmore was not a pre-professional school; rather, it was a pre-professorial school. Almost everyone I knew well wanted to be a professor. Today, Swarthmore students are still very scholarly, but there is a much wider background where they come from and what they want to do. Some even want to go to Wall St! I think this greater breadth is a good thing. It's very satisfying to be faculty here. Steve Maurer '67

It's the little things you don't always know until later. I didn't fully appreciate all that Swarthmore had given me until I didn't have it anymore: access to sound equipment and a space to play; ice time at a local hockey rink; one-on-one help with video editing; the support from the community in all of my endeavors. This is just my story, but I know most Swatties have a similar story to tell. All of this while surrounded by the prettiest campus I've ever set foot on with the nicest staff I've ever met. And all of this surrounded by faculty and students who are just as motivated as you are – not just academically – but in other ways that were delightful to discover as time went on. Swarthmore is a place where everyone is encouraged to be passionate about something, and to feel truly supported doing so. Joel Price '00

swarthmore college

When I came to Swarthmore in 1984 I found in my dorm, Hallowell, classmates from across the country and around the world with whom I developed, and continue to have, some of the most meaningful relationships in my life. Drawn to the artsy crowd with some of my new friends, my orbit grew more distant: from Hallowell, to the off-campus dorms of Roberts and Mary Lyons, and finally to apartments in the Ville. I studied political science, concentrating in public policy. Looking back on it now, I see that my physical distance reflected the critical distance I learned to employ in my classes. I applied these skills skeptically to the Swarthmore community, even as I took advantage of the freedom it provided me to pursue my own path, with the friends I chose, in the activities about which I cared the most. It's the central irony of my Swarthmore experience. Ken Dinitz '88

I came to Swarthmore in 1972, some three years after landing in New York City as the daughter of a political refugee from Romania. At Swarthmore, I learned how to think, practice tolerance, and judge values. Here, I faced my fears and my insecurities. Here, I learned to navigate relationships: sometimes well, sometimes badly. Here, I was supported by quirky and intelligent friends and wonderful professors. Here, I learned physics and slugged my way through math, only to go on to be a lawyer a few years later. Here, I learned English. Here, I took my first steps into an adult life. Here, I became an American. Thank you, Swarthmore, for launching me well. Thank you, Swarthmoreans '73 through '79, for being a part of my journey, both then and now. Petrina Albulescu Dawson '76

Personally and socially, Swarthmore was my first time living on my own and finding my life. Living on campus in the relatively small community was so important. Professionally, studying engineering at Swarthmore was just the right thing for me. Getting the concept of systems rather than components served me and my projects well. Bob Abrahams '71

What made Swarthmore so special for me was the people. I remember looking around at my freshman hallmates and thinking each one was more amazing than the next. Everyone had such a unique story, such unique interests, and such a unique perspective on life. Sure, the academics were great, but even more special were the spontaneous late night discussions and debates over takeout Chinese food and pizza. Nowhere else have I or will I come across people who expand my horizons so much as my fellow Swatties. Travis Pollen '12

Swarthmore confirmed to me that dedication and perseverance in the face of great challenge yields greater rewards. No test, either in the classroom or in life beyond, has come close to presenting the diversity and complexity of the Swarthmore experience. It was at Swarthmore that I forged my closest friendships. Conversations in the library, cafeteria, dorms, and classrooms, with friends and professors alike, have formed my most cherished memories. I fondly recall times of great exultation, celebrating moments as common as dancing footloose at a Paces party to occasions rare as completing my senior thesis. Swarthmore challenged me academically, philosophically, and emotionally to become the best possible student, friend, family member, and colleague. I would not have my present perspective on life, were it not for my time at Swarthmore, where anywhere else, it would have been an "A". Then again, I would not have it any other way. Ashwin Rao '99

Swarthmore changed my life positively in every way and I think about it every day. My education and experiences there gave me the ability to know when it was right and proper to feel confident in my thinking and conclusions and when it wasn't, when I needed to keep working on the problem. That has been invaluable in my life, but especially in my career where other people rely on me for my good judgement and competence. Swarthmore also gave me my real family – my wife and her Swarthmore relations (some of them part of ancient Swarthmore history) and my best friends. Once at a cocktail party an architect who had done work for the College suggested that when I thought about Swarthmore, I remembered the buildings and classrooms. No. I think about the open campus and the laughter, the things I somehow learned that can't be taught. Curtis Roberts '75

Coming to Swarthmore from Woodside Queens, I knew it was going to be a very different environment for me. I had been taking the subway all over New York since I was 14, and here I was in the middle of nowhere. But the intellectual vibrancy of the campus helped me with the adjustment. You could relish being a geek and a serious student - it was wonderful to be in a place where that was celebrated. Lourdes Rosado '85

After almost 60 years, Swarthmore is and always will be a wealth of riches in every dimension! I feel privileged to have been there. Beside its preeminent role as a 'matchbox,' for which I for one will always be grateful, it fostered - in the best way possible - creative thinking. I'm still at it with 3D exploration in isotropic voxel space in organ tissues with x-ray microtomography. The days are still not long enough. Viele dank, merci beaucoup Swarthmore! Steve Phillips '55

Swarthmore shaped the person I am. Perhaps more importantly, it molded the person I aspire to be. Alberto Mora '74

swarthmore college

I remember attending my first civil rights march with Stanley Branch in Chester and giving a talk on the Vietnam war at the church across the street from the College. I remember folk dancing under the stars on the Sharples patio, long walks in the Crum Woods, and art movies on Friday evenings in Clothier, with Professor Peter Van de Kamp providing live piano accompaniment for the Charlie Chaplin movies. I experienced my first Quaker meeting silence and committed social action and consensus building. This rich banquet of intellectual and moral and artistic fare has supported and formed my continued life commitment to inclusive community, spiritual growth, natural beauty, and social action. Thank you, Swarthmore. Jennie Boyd Bull '67

It's the combination of a serious study of music and broad intellectual pursuits that has been the most meaningful aspect of my Swarthmore education. While teaching musicians, I'm always aware that I'm teaching more than just music, more than just how to compose or perform. The best music presents a model of human interaction, a template of the human experience. Ken Schaphorst '82

The meaning of Swarthmore is not in the past tense. Swarthmore meant that I met a circle of peers and teachers who have remained my closest friends throughout life. This includes two husbands from my Class of 1972. Swarthmore's meaning continues through my friendships and relationships with over a dozen people who share my interests in and curiosity about the world and all it has to offer and the desire to make it a better place. We are in constant contact and communication. We have been caring about each other's welfare and the world's betterment throughout the stages of life. Linda Valleroy '72

swarthmore college

We students were so young that my roommate and I would sometimes get up early on Sunday mornings in order to roll down the lawns and climb the trees on campus without being seen. Yet, like fine wine, we "Swarthmorons" all appear to mature really well. When I listen to all of the conversations at Reunions, I feel as if my intellectual capacities rise about 10 points. Our gatherings are a type of cross-pollination that stimulates my brain and creativity and gives me great pleasure. A classmate once said to me, “One of the best things about Swarthmore is that after you have gone through that experience, you have the ability to solve any problem.” Add to that the Quaker ideal of compassionate, open-minded service and the desire to melt all boundaries amongst people. I think that this rigorous training has helped keep all of us facing life with gusto! Kathie Kertesz '63

Both the academic and athletic experience provided at Swarthmore taught me many life lessons. Taking a variety of subjects in the liberal arts helped prepare me for the real world through the ability to adapt and solve problems different ways. One must be able to view an issue from several angles, challenging conventional wisdom at times. Being part of the baseball team also proved that hard work does pay off. The program went from the bottom of the league my freshman season to a playoff victory senior year. I was proud to wear the S on my jersey, never missing one game during my four years. The time management skills developed to balance the rigorous academics with competitive athletics can't be valued enough. Jimmy Gill '10

When I came to Swarthmore, I assumed that I was getting a great education so that I could be a better wife (hopefully to a professor) and mother. By the time I left, I had encountered strong women professors who changed my life. I will never forget Jean Kopytoff galloping down from Parrish clutching her first book, nor Helen North's demanding classes that shaped my non-professional reading for nearly 50 years. Since then, I have listened to the other strong lesson that I associate with Swarthmore: don't pursue an end for itself, but live the means with fulsome curiosity and a focus on social justice. My scholarly path has been circuitous, but in the end I know that who I have become would not have been possible if I had ended up in any other college (or possibly at any other time). Karen (Louis) Seashore '67

Swarthmore College was a four-year test of character for me. I am forever appreciative for it because I graduated a better man than I came in due to the people who made a lasting impression me. I hope that I, too, made a lasting impression on the Swarthmore community. Sean Bryant '13

Swarthmore is a place that encouraged individuality and being true to yourself. Whether you were a pterodactyl hunter, a 6'3 transgender minority who preferred a green handbag, or someone who rode a unicycle, it did not matter. Individuality was celebrated; the character of the person was most important. My Swarthmore experience definitely shaped me into the individual that I am today. Simply put, I learned three things from Swarthmore: work hard regardless of the reward, or lack thereof ("should have been an A"), be accepting of others despite our differences, and to remain humble. These are principles that I practice daily. Mitzie-Ann (Davis) Woldegebriel '02

Many questions and searches, begun at Swarthmore, stayed stubbornly in my life beyond college. Some books also stayed with me for years and years. One was Erwin Panofsky's two-volume work on Albrecht Durer, which beautifully illuminates the contrasting yet intertwining cultures of Northern Europe and the Italian Renaissance. I plan to read it one more time. In the world of campus life, the coming of the Folk Music Revival on campus thrilled me. Speaking of questions and search! I spent a lot of time in my post-college life trying to make silent old homemade musical artifacts tell me their tales, and talking with old folks in the mountains and hills of Appalachia. I found some answers – not all, but more than was known before. Last year I received a lifetime achievement award from Western Carolina University for my efforts. Thank you, wonderful Swarthmore and friends! Ralph Lee Smith '51

Swarthmore College freed me -- intellectually, socially; publicly, privately; financially -- to live life on my own terms. I came from a conservative, loving Ohio family of very modest means, and a high school where it was almost impossible to be smart and cool at the same time. But at Swarthmore, where idiosyncrasy and intellect were not only tolerated, but reveled in, I learned it was ok not only to challenge some societal rules, but to affirmatively chart my own course. As a woman in corporate life and then an entrepreneur, working primarily in men's worlds for so long, my Swarthmore grounding was invaluable to success. Plus Professor Robert Walker and his wife changed my life forever. I am deeply grateful to the wisdom and kindness of those who guide and teach at this College, and am forever in their debt. Davia Temin '74

Swarthmore was the fertile point of germination for all the fondest hopes I had for nurturing a meaningful, happy, principled life for myself and my companions on the longest journey. And as I, along with my generation, have aged and evolved over the last half century, the College has remained the eternal arboretum of my rooted but soaring aspirations, a beloved benchmark giving perspective to all the realized passions as well as to an abundant forest of still unfulfilled dreams of what my ultimate story could be. Roy Van Til '66

swarthmore college

Sitting alone in the amphitheater, adorned in autumnal splendor, walking beneath the majestic oaks of Magill with Parrish spread before you, as the sweet scent of spring lilacs drift through the learned halls of Trotter, one feels the power of Swarthmore, the setting. It is a feeling that resists articulation – a comfort, a sanctuary, a home – words too trivial to capture the essence of the place. And Swarthmore, the people and community, allowed me to appreciate and internalize the fundamental tenets of liberal arts: connecting broadly, understanding deeply, and thinking critically. Through seminar discussion, student council argument, athletic competition, and personal reflection, Swarthmore has helped me to embrace change and difference not only as a reality but more importantly as a daily opportunity to build appreciation for one another and spur individual and communal eudaimonia. It is this transcendent philosophy, and the enduring memory of place, that encapsulates my Swarthmore. Victor Brady '13

While at Swarthmore, I embarked on a major intellectual awakening, an incredible cultural exchange, a surge in leadership skills, an exploration of artistry, and a renewed sense of character. I met many people who have changed my life forever. Swarthmore played a major role in who I am today and shaped the trajectory of my adult life. Kim Pinckney-Lewis '02

Thanks to the honors system I discovered something very unusual: intellectual intensity and hard academic work can actually be fun. I didn't know this before I came to Swarthmore. I was actually a transfer student from a rather similar place. When I got here I was amazed to discover that being academically serious and committed can be very enjoyable. Of course, this had a profound effect on me: I became an academic -- and happily I even ended up teaching here. This unusual feature of Swarthmore is probably why the College has had such an effect on higher learning and why so many of its alumni are professors or researchers. Rick Valelly '75

swarthmore college

I chose Swarthmore primarily because my father Frank was an alumnus ('41) who named me after his friend and classmate Dick Drury, a pilot killed in World War II. My student years at the College were the defining period of my life. The College broadened my parochial horizons immeasurably. The Friendly influence deepened my passion for social justice. The Honors Program changed me into a critical thinker. Yet in challenging me, the College exacted a personal price, as I was too easily intimidated by some of the giants in the student body and the faculty. To me, it was a highly competitive environment that was sometimes too demanding. But the Quaker heritage tempered those demands. And I feel that I am a far better, more well-rounded person as a result of those four years — and appreciate the experience more with each passing year. Dick Hegner '71

Swarthmore contributed to a true explosion in my mind. I was an international student and words cannot describe how thankful I am for the years I spent there. I gained and honed many personal and professional skills that I use today in my daily life. I learned how to tackle insurmountable challenges. This is the place where I felt welcomed and each and every idea was appreciated. I believe that Swarthmore is a unique, truly holy place that gives a fantastic foundation for the future and teaches its students to be great people and professionals not only in the United States, but worldwide. Anastasia Herasimovich '06

I am forever grateful to Thomas B. McCabe '15 (Mr. McCabe) for his inspirational character and leadership. Mr. McCabe was a bigger than life figure who interacted with titans of industry and government. For instance, the copy of Alastair Cooke's America that sat on Mr. McCabe’s coffee table was given to Mr. McCabe by Cooke himself. Mr. McCabe said without any pretense, 'Oh yes, that was a gift. He's a nice guy.' Yet, despite his immense achievements, he always had the time and interest to spend time with lowly undergrads, always urging them to achieve great things. I have never met anyone like him. Marc Halley '74

I am immensely grateful to the College and the influence it had in my life. First, my wife, secondly the sports, but beyond that, professionally, the College had everything to do with my career. Rolf Valtin '48

One of the most important things I learnt during my time at Swarthmore was the ability to think critically, because I was given a wealth of opportunities to think for myself, to challenge orthodox views, and to engage in inspiring discussions with my professors and peers both within and beyond the classroom. I also loved the diverse friendships I was able to build at Swarthmore as an international student, many of which I am convinced will last a lifetime. Being able to interact on a daily basis with people from different cultures, socio-economic backgrounds, religions, sexualities, etc. has changed and influenced me in profound ways, and has made me more open and sensitive to differences of all kinds. Ultimately, Swarthmore was a place where I discovered the kind of person I wanted to become, thanks to the love, support, and guidance I received from my mentors and friends.  Mary-Jean Chan '12

Swarthmore: where art history majors learn the chops to do medical research and solve difficult medical problems. THAT is the power of a good liberal arts education! John Schubert '74

One of the things I love about Swarthmore is its changing map – I still see the faces of those I went to school with in the early '90s ghosting about campus – and the campus we knew back then still peeks around all the new spaces. I feel so much wonder in how that has happened! I was recently telling a group of students how Pearson used to be where our acting class met because the LPAC was then unfinished when I was a rising freshman. Their memories will be so different from mine. Swarthmore was a safe and beautiful landscape to figure out who I was meant to be and that figures into my personal map, too. I took full advantage of the 'liberal' part of liberal arts and changed my major several times. Swarthmore was, and still is, my compass for navigating the world. I am so grateful. Tara Nova Webb '94

McCabe Marathons,
Pinocchio's Pizzathons,
And racing to the Firehouse at 3 a.m.
To make the ambulance on time.

Britney Spears dance routines,
Lacrosse games at twilight
And that last-minute mint oreo seminar dessert
That didn't quite work out.

Morrison and Faulkner,
Freire and Hooks,
And that moment in a classroom discussion
When I knew for sure
I wanted to become a teacher

Through these things
And so much more,
Swarthmore meant
Learning how to learn
And how to keep learning
Every single day
For a lifetime.
Nick Martin '04

Swarthmore is a splendid place, more fully and more successfully committed to undergraduate liberal arts study than any other place on the planet. It is the best there is. Swarthmore gave me a terrific education marked by great teachers and high standards that stretched me to my limits. J. Robert Prichard '71

Coming from Kenya, where I would have been expected to pursue an undergraduate degree in medicine, Swarthmore represented a certain kind of freedom. No sooner had I arrived on campus than I realized that this was a different kind of freedom. This freedom yielded more questions than answers; made me feel a deep sense of responsibility for the world around me; and threw me into confusion, but made me grow. Looking around, all students were intensely absorbed in exploring their own questions. This freedom permeated all times of day and all corners of campus. I can think of no other time when I underwent such deep and intense growth across all areas of my life as I did at Swarthmore. What crowned my experience is that Swarthmore's atmosphere encouraged this type of growth and availed abundant resources to support it. Lizah Masis '12

Swarthmore taught me the meaning of a vibrant community, where all its denizens are empowered to think, speak, and act in ways that shape change, big and small. That enduring sense of community sparks dreams of broader communities where humanity’s best hopes stand a better chance. Encounters with other community members (and memories of remarkable classmates and inspiring teachers like Don Swearer and Phil Weinstein) remind me of the rare privilege of a Swarthmore education, the responsibility that incurs, and the motivation, skills, and self-confidence to act on that responsibility. Kevin Quigley '74

When I arrived at Swarthmore in 1963 I had never had a friend with whom I could have an intellectual discussion, and I had no idea there were other people like me. I spent the next four years in conversation, disrupted (very) occasionally by studying. When I graduated in 1967, I thought my life was over, and it took 10 years before I achieved a sense of community that was even a pale echo of what I had at Swarthmore. In addition to learning to love people, I learned to love plants. Even now, my favorite plants at my home are forsythia, lilac, and daffodils, as reminders of my first exposure to nature. Deborah White '67

Why was Swarthmore so special? I met Ellen (Class of '64) there. We've been married since 1962, and it's been better with every passing year. John Wright '62

It was great being in a place where there are so many different people, ideas, and cultures. Learning about them allowed me to discover myself. Mariam Zakhary '13

A good education lasts a lifetime. The details need to be revised constantly as we discover new things and rethink the ideas and theories of an earlier era. My Swarthmore education has served as a constant source of inspiration that informs my habits of thinking, enriches my moral imagination, and contributes to my lifelong love of stories and images that bring out unexpected elements of the things that I encounter in my daily life. Throughout our lives, we can draw upon these rich assets and build new understanding of ourselves, our relationships with others, and our ability to be wise stewards of the physical environment that nurtures us. That is what it means to be truly well-educated, to carry with you the knowledge that there is always more to learn, to see, and to do in order to make this world a better place for all of us. Judith Aitken Ramaley '63

swarthmore college

The most important thing about Swarthmore for me has been that Swarthmore not only stands for the highest intellectual standards but also the highest standards of character and service. Swarthmore has the right values; it teaches them and embodies them. Swarthmore represents education the way it should be. Students are challenged to think and not just memorize; our professors knew us by name; they helped us express our ideas clearly and convincingly. After Swarthmore, I went to Harvard to receive my Ph.D. I couldn’t believe how easy graduate school was after Swarthmore. I had learned so much in my Swarthmore classes that, for two years at Harvard, I kept thinking I had just picked the wrong courses when I learned so much less from classes there. Slowly it sank in that education at Swarthmore is far more fundamentally superior to that at other institutions than I had previously appreciated. Adele Diamond '74

To me, Swarthmore will always be a serene place full of beauty and green where young students come not just because they are smart but because they want to work hard and learn better ways of thinking and listening and communicating with the outside world on wide ranges of topics. Professors come there to teach because they want to spend time with students, learn their names, and not just prepare them for a job but help them become capable leaders and writers and speakers and take their places in the world. Swarthmore is a place where you do not get lost in a crowd. No one is permanently chained to their desk because it is a place where everyone has a passion and curiosity for some side interest you probably did not know about. Swarthmore will always hold a special place in my heart, and will always feel like home. Jove Graham '96

Swarthmore gave me a solid foundation for my search for meaning – not always successful – in a variety of realms. Swarthmore fed my intense desire to make a difference. Swarthmore gave me the courage to follow my curiosity, even if I did not have a concrete plan for my career path. Swarthmore pushed me to embrace challenges rather than to play it safe. Catherine Good Abbott '72

Without Swarthmore, I would not have been stretched intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually. Without Swarthmore, I would not have completed a Quaker matchbox, marrying my wife, who was a classmate and my best friend. Without Swarthmore, I would not have fallen in love with teaching. Without Swarthmore, I would not be living the life I have today. I owe Swarthmore my life. Kevin Koo '97

Swarthmore was a magic place at a magic time: rigor for the academic parts of the brain, exposure to the evils of the earth to tug at our hearts, connection to the "Quaker spirit" in our fellow man, and basking in the generosity of nature. Of course, some of this richness was not fully appreciated at the time: I was distracted by falling in love, studying in Paris, sweating in Philadelphia summers, [and] becoming a wife and mother. But the good hard values stick and grow over time, and our love of learning goes on forever. Jody (Pullen Jenkins) Williams '66